Male Pelvic Health Physiotherapy
Male pelvic health physiotherapy is a specialist service that deals with male pelvic pain and pelvic organ dysfunction. Due to the nature of these conditions it takes men an average of 7 years to discuss them with their GP. Physiotherapy can be successful in the diagnosis and treatment of male pelvic dysfunction and with the awareness of this service is increasing, many men who had previously given up hope have experienced life changing improvements.
Men’s Health Physiotherapy is a specialised area of Physiotherapy, focusing on pelvic health. Typically, Physiotherapists are thought of as therapists who treat the muscular and bone systems of the body, correcting movement issues and rehabilitating patients following an injury. Mark Dunford, our male pelvic health specialist also has over 14 years experience as an MSK Physio and is likely to assess and treat your muscle and bone system too, however has specialist training to treat muscle dysfunctions of the pelvic floor.
At PhysioSpace, our specialist physiotherapist Mark Dunford, directs our male pelvic health service. Many men are currently suffering in silence. If this is you, contact our clinic today to arrange an assessment which could lead to an improvement in your well-being and quality of life. Our service is highly confidential and at PhysioSpace Mark will provide the appropriate consultation for you to discuss these very personal problems.
Research has shown that:
- 1 in 10 men may experience continence or pelvic floor issues during their lifetime
- Following prostatectomy surgery, up to 70% of men suffer from urinary incontinence
- 16% of males over 18 have an overactive bladder
- Erectile dysfunction affects more than 50% of men over 40 years of age
Conditions that we treat include:
- Post prostate surgery/radiotherapy/chemotherapy
- Chronic pelvic, groin, hip and coccyx pain
- Erectile / sexual dysfunction
During your initial visit to our clinic, Mark will take a detailed history of your condition. Following this he will perform the appropriate physical examination, after which he will give you a detailed explanation of your condition and discuss the appropriate individualised treatment with you which may include:
- Pelvic floor retraining exercises
- Bladder retraining techniques
- Internal manual therapy techniques
- Self-trigger point and scar massage
- Pilates-type lower back strengthening exercises
- Lower back manual therapy and stretching exercises
- Musculoskeletal treatments
Call us on 02920 214 067 to find out more or to book an appointment with Mark.